RTAs in ROI – MTB has you covered!

It’s that time of year again, when we become experts on the weather forecast; the summer wardrobe is removed from storage; and the barbecue is fired up for some al fresco dining.

Some of us will be jetting off to sunnier climes for our holidays and others will enjoy a staycation on our own fair isle and whilst it’s not nice to think about things going wrong when you’re on holiday, unfortunately mishaps can occur. So what happens if you are injured in an accident in Ireland and who can help?

McCartan Turkington Breen is an all-Ireland practice, with our Dublin branch known as F V Harty & Co., so wherever you might be in Ireland when an incident occurs, we have you covered.

If someone else is to blame for the accident you are entitled to pursue an injury or damage claim in the south in the same way as you would in Northern Ireland but the rules are slightly different.

If you are involved in a road traffic collision your insurer should be your first port of call and if you have comprehensive insurance they will usually assist with things like bringing your car back home and fire charges if the fire brigade is called but they will not assist with recovery of your uninsured losses.  

Uninsured losses are things like your insurance excess; or the cost of a hotel if you are unable to get home because of the damage to your car; or damage to property including your luggage; or medical expenses if you have to attend hospital in Ireland. You will have to recover these yourself, either directly from the other driver’s insurer yourself or by instructing a solicitor to do this on your behalf.

You should try to get the other driver’s name, address, vehicle registration and insurance details. In Ireland you can usually find insurance details on a disc on the front windscreen which looks a bit like our old tax or MOT discs. Photographs taken at the scene are always useful, particularly if liability is in dispute. You might also want to consider keeping a copy of your insurance cover note in your glove compartment. The guards, like the PSNI, don’t always attend car accidents but, if they do, they will ask you to produce your insurance and you don’t particularly want to have to drive down with it to the nearest border Garda station after your holiday.

If you are injured elsewhere, for example at your hotel or whilst out and about, you should report the incident to the premises manager at the earliest opportunity and, if possible, take photographs of where the accident happened.

If you require medical treatment following any accident you can attend a walk-in GP practice or you can go to the A&E department of the nearest hospital. You will have to pay upfront to access these services and the hospital may ask for details of your E1-11. The hospital may also write to you when you return home to find out if you are pursuing a claim as they are entitled to recover hospital charges from the other party’s insurers via your claim if you are pursuing one.

If you have sustained injuries as a result of negligence on the part of someone else then you may be entitled to make an injury claim and we can provide initial advice and then guide you through the process if required so don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Safe travels.