MTB Solicitors obtain Children’s Certificate for an Occasional Licence

After a recent Court of Appeal ruling Licencees have had to be very careful as to what permissions they hold for children on their premises.

One area where issues are arising is where a licencee applies for an Occasional Licence for premises that are unlicensed.

In those circumstances it is being argued by the police that a Children’s Certificate will be required for the premises that are to be governed by an Occasional Licence.
MTB Solicitors were approached about such an application for a function in Magherafelt. We liaised with the Council and the PSNI. A suitable application was prepared and we were able to obtain the Children’s Certificate from the court.

This is a novel issue. It has not been raised before.

By their very nature occasional licences are temporary and often applied for at short notice. Being faced with this issue late in the day can have commercial consequences.

In the case referred to above we adopted a proactive and collaborative approach and were successful on behalf of our client.

If you have any queries regarding occasional licences, children’s certificates or liquor licensing generally do not hesitate to contact Colin Mitchell at this office 02890 329801.