It’s been a strange old year so far, but thankfully restrictions have relaxed a little to allow people to let off some steam during the summer holidays. Not all restrictions have relaxed, particularly in relation to foreign travel, so for many of us, this is the summer of the great staycation.

Luckily, we’re blessed with a beautiful wee island so holidaying at home is no great hardship, apart from the scarcity of accommodation and the rather ‘mixed’ weather. 

It also means that the county is considerably busier than normal, and the traffic can be challenging, particularly in the traditional beauty spots like Donegal, the ring of Kerry and West Cork.

So, what happens if you are injured in an accident on your holidays in Ireland and who can help?

McCartan Turkington Breen is an all-Ireland practice, with our Dublin branch known as F V Harty & Co., so wherever you might be in Ireland when an incident occurs, we have you covered.

If someone else is to blame for the accident you are entitled to pursue an injury or damage claim in the south in the same way as you would at home although the rules and processes are slightly different in the south.

If you are involved in a road traffic collision your insurer should be your first port of call and if you have comprehensive insurance they will usually assist with things like bringing your car back home and fire charges if the fire brigade is called but they will not assist with recovery of your uninsured losses.

Uninsured losses are things like your insurance excess; or the cost of a hotel if you are unable to get home because of the damage to your car; or damage to property including your luggage; or medical expenses if you have to attend hospital in Ireland. You will have to recover these yourself, either directly from the other driver’s insurer yourself or by instructing a solicitor to do this on your behalf.

You should try to get the other driver’s name, address, vehicle registration and insurance details. In Ireland you can usually find insurance details on a disc on the front windscreen which looks a bit like our old tax or MOT discs. Photographs taken at the scene are always useful, particularly if liability is in dispute. You might also want to consider keeping a copy of your insurance cover note in your glove compartment. The guards, like the PSNI, don’t always attend car accidents but if they do they will ask you to produce your insurance and you don’t particularly want to have to drive down with it to the nearest border garda station after your holiday.

If you are injured elsewhere, for example at your hotel or whilst out and about, you should report the incident to the premises manager at the earliest opportunity and if possible take photographs of where the accident happened.

If you require medical treatment following any accident you can attend a walk-in GP practice or you can go to the A&E department of the nearest hospital. You will have to pay upfront to access these services and the hospital may ask for details of your E1-11. The hospital may also write to you when you return home to find out if you are pursuing a claim as they are entitled to recover hospital charges from the other party’s insurers via your claim if you are pursuing one.

If you have sustained injuries as a result of negligence on the part of someone else then you may be entitled to make an injury claim and we can provide initial advice and then guide you through the process if required so don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Safe travels.